Happy Friday Eve y’all! If you want to make your Friday THEE best ever, you should definitely make this smoothie tomorrow for breakfast. It is so so tasty, very filling, healthy, and let me just let you in on a little secret…it freaking tastes like a chocolate milk shake! WIN!
I’ve been working out in the early, early morning lately and need a breakfast that will keep me full until my lunch break at work. I will admit, I had both of the two servings in the recipe below to make that happen. However, if you are able to snack throughout your day or if you simply don’t like to have much at breakfast, definitely stick to one serving.
I overheard someone talking about putting oats in their smoothie the other day and that had never crossed my mind before, but I knew I wanted to try it! I imagine oats tasting fairly grainy in a smoothie so I did something kind of weird. (At least I think it’s weird, maybe other people already do this, ha!) Before I put the oats in the smoothie, I made them into oatmeal! This way they were already soft when I blended them and couldn’t be grainy.
This smoothie is loaded with protein, healthy carbs, potassium and TONS of fiber! If you try it out, let me know how it went in the comments! I’d love to hear any substitutions you made and if you dig it as much as I do. If you post on social media, use the hashtag #rissgoesvegan and/or tag @marissaselby so I can see your beautiful creations!
Bangin’ Banana & Chocolate Protein Smoothies
Makes 2 servings
- 3 medjool dates, pitted
- 3 tbsp oats (measured before cooking)
- 2 scoops chocolate protein powder (I use Orgain)
- 1 1/2 bananas, sliced & frozen
- 1 tbsp chia seeds, soaked
- 1 tbsp flax seeds
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- If you do not have fresh dates, soak them in hot water for 10 minutes, this will soften them up a bit
- Put dry oats in a microwavable bowl with a few tablespoons of water and heat for about 30 seconds, set aside to cool
- Soak chia seeds in a bit of water, enough to just cover them*
- Once dates are ready, place all ingredients into blender and blend until smooth
*The longer you soak the chia seeds, the more gelatinous the smoothie will be