Hi there new friends! My name is Marissa, but you can call me Riss. I have been vegan for about 5 months now and it’s about damn time I start sharing some recipes with the world. Five months isn’t very long to be saying “it’s about damn time,” but I’ve been cooking and posting my food on Instagram for quite some time and a food blog in general has been a long time coming.
I’m very excited to start sharing some things I’ve been cooking up! When deciding what my first recipe would be, it was a no-brainer to go with these cucumber sandwiches because they are seriously delicious and we’ve been eating them a lot lately. I got the idea for these from a restaurant my co-workers introduced me to called The Sandwich Society in Santa Ana, CA. They have a vegetarian sandwich that I have veganized for you here. Enjoy!
Killer Cucumber Sandwiches
Serves 3 or 4 depending on size of bread
- vegan sourdough bread (most sourdough is vegan)
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 purple onion, sliced
- shredded romaine or iceberg lettuce
- hamburger pickles (oh the irony)
- vegan mayonnaise (I use Trader Joe’s brand)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Start by putting your vegan mayo and mustard on the sourdough slices.
- On one side of each sandwich, layer shredded romaine, pickles, and red onion slices*
- On the other side, layer avocado slices, salt & pepper, cucumbers, and pepperocinis*
- Slap that sandwich together (don’t actually slap it, you’ll make a huge mess)**
- Enjoy with a side of your favorite chips!
* Place each item on the bread in the order they are listed to avoid soggy bread!
** Sourdough is typically on the wider side, so I’ve found that if I turn the slices long-ways it makes much less of a mess when you put the sandwich together.
If you try this recipe, comment below! I’d love to know how it went as well as any changes you made! If you post on social media, use the hashtag #rissgoesvegan and/or tag @marissaselby so I can see your beautiful creations!